Monday, November 2, 2009

Soapbox I- "Get Over Yourself"

So here I go....

You know what has always boggled me? These moms that are so obsessed with their own diet. They count calories, cut out carbs, do all kinds of diet plans. They hire trainers and hit the gym or train for marathons, etc. etc. But you know what? They don't do squat when it comes to their kids' dietary/physical needs. I've seen it time and time again a mom eating carrot sticks and strawberries while she's feeding her kids Cheetos and Lunchables. I'm not gonna lie. I have looked down on these moms more times than I'd like to admit. Because for the life of me, I can't figure out how they can put so much time and effort into THEMSELVES but not do the same for the little, growing bodies they are responsible for. Now I previewed this post to a good friend of mine. "Don't you think you're being a little harsh?" No. No I don't. Why? Because it's been too pervasive around me since having kids that it must be said.

About a year a go, I had a mom come to me and say, "Leya, I don't know how to feed my kids and I was told to come to you." Flattering I thought. Even easier solution I thought. The exchange went as follows...

"Well, I happen to know how you eat. I know you're so concerned with staying a size 2 that you eat a certain way to do so am I right? I mean you eat all fruits and vegetables am I right?"

"Uh. Yeah. Getting my body back after having my second was really important to me. I eat good and work-out daily."

"Yes, I know this. Are your kids on a vitamin?"

"No."

"Are you?"

"Yes."

"Do your kids drink water or juice?"

"Both...but, uh....quite a bit of juice."

"Do you drink water or juice?"

"Water."

"When you go to a fast food drive-thru, you get your kids the chicken nuggets or fingers or cheeseburger every time?"

"Yeah. That's all they'll eat."

"You get the grilled chicken sandwich don't you?"

"Yes."

The conversation ended with this: "Friend of mine, you need to start putting as much thought into your kids' diets and health as you do your own. Not because you're worried about their weight, but because your worried about every aspect of their little, growing bodies. You may eat this way to stay a size 2. You need to be feeding them the same way so that they'll learn to eat that way for health, not just for their True Religion jeans. This is long-term imprintation."

I don't mean to sound high and pious. I really don't. But get over yourself, ladies (some of you).

And when you have daughters, let me tell you now, if you don't teach your girls to have a good relationship with food from about 18 months on, shame on you. Your girls need to know that eating good is NOT about weight alone but their hair, nails, skin, teeth, mood, intelligence, immunities, fertility, fertility, fertility. Yeah, that's right. The day they get their period they need to understand how healthy fat plays a huge role in their cycle and supports their reproductive system. They need to understand that the shiny healthy hair, glowing skin and bright eyes they "see" in magazines are theirs for the taking if they want it. This starts at home. And it starts now. Don't underestimate how early poor body image begins. Especially these days. And for those of you that have had struggles in the past with eating disorders or still struggle with it today, LEAVE YOUR BAGGAGE BEHIND YOU. Having a baby girl is a chance to start over for you as well. Teach her the importance of feeding her body. The difference in just "eating" and then actually FEEDING your body. Happiness comes from feeling good. Feeling good comes from eating good. Simple.

If you feel like I'm talking to you, maybe I am. But I hope instead of being offended, you'll do some self-evaluating into what you could be doing different for your children in addition to what you do to take care of yourself. The day you conceived, it isn't about you anymore. So put your jeans and bikini aside for just a moment and get your kids off to a good start. Then when you start cooking a certain way for yourself to drop those baby lbs, and your kids gobble it up as well, it's win-win for everyone! But they come first, you second. Them first, you second.

OK, I'm done. Thanks for your time.

7 comments:

  1. Leya, what bothers me is when I see these crazed mothers giving their kids Diet Coke at the age of 6. It actually pains me to witness this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or even worse, pregnant women drinking Diet Coke. Seriously? Especially every day! OMG! I can't imagine! GET OVER YOURSELF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also like to add, after giving this some thought while brushing my teeth last night, that there are moms out there that balance both beautifully- taking care of themselves and their children simultaneously! I wish I could be more like you! I definitely let my own needs fall by the way-side when it comes to my health. I'm now in that mode, since deciding we are done having children, where I keep telling myself I'm no good to anyone if I'm not around later! And it starts now! So I'm getting there...I just happen to be the world's worst multi-tasker! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself looking at the shopping carts of people around me. I so want to jump out of my own skin sometimes and give the "Are you freaking kidding me?" speech. People are poisoning their kids bodies!!! It is so painful to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "People are poisoning their kids' bodies!" And people wonder why the cancer rate, autism rate, obesity rate, learning disability rate, altzheimers rates are all up. Hmmmmm...I don't know. Maybe because the FDA and the USDA are all a bunch of........yeah, I'm about to get myself into trouble. What else is new? >:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leya,

    You now have a male follower. Cristi suggested I read your blog, and I can see why….it’s awesome! Since we share in the feeding of the kids, she thought we should start following your “subtle” suggestions! LOL
    I wasn’t the least bit offended, but the GUILT sure sucks! ;-) We aren’t horrible, but we definitely have a way to go. I know our “big ‘uns” are older, but that it’s not too late to educate and change their dietary habits. They already think we are “strict” for only letting them have on Dr. Pepper a day. They have no idea what’s coming!! ;-)
    And, thanks to you, I can now justify the food processor I’ve been wanting. Any suggestions regarding brands?
    The one big hurdles I see for us (as for most everyone, I’m sure) is time. Since we both work, it can be a challenge to find enough. It’s the most precious thing we can give our kids, and the one we don’t seem to have enough of, let alone for spouses and ourselves. The cooking doesn’t seem to be so bad as much as the prepping does. Any thoughts/ideas on pre-making dinners on the weekends and freezing them for later in the week? Good idea? Bad idea?
    Thank you so much for taking your own time to educate us, the-Ignorant-with-Good-Intentions (or, IGIs)!! I really appreciate you sharing all of your research and experience. Maybe, our kids won’t turn out to be fat dummies! LOL

    Another Follower,
    John (Cristi’s other half)

    ReplyDelete
  7. UGH. I just ran across another one of these moms recently. UGH. She has three kids she feeds like crap but she eats fruit and salad all day and run 13 miles a day. She said she is trying to "stay trim." Really? What about your three kids? I mean I guess BRAIN DEVELOPMENT doesn't matter at all, eh? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete