Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Food and Wine

Obviously you can see from the title of the article this has little to do with feeding your kids. However, it has everything to do with mommy's mental health if you know what I mean.

It is no secret that I am trying to get some baby weight off since have my ten and a half pound son six months ago. He was big. I got big. It is also no secret that I love beer. I don't mean a frat boy kind of love. I mean I really, really enjoy it. That being said, we all know it isn't diet-friendly especially in the problem area that follows two ten-pound children (my stomach). So in my quest to make better choices I have started to really try and develop a pallet and love for wine. I think it actually might be an acquired taste. The other reason for my pursuit of passion for wine is my husband's blood pressure. He has high blood pressure that is hereditary, it has nothing to do with stress or his diet or what kind of shape he's in. If you saw him, you'd know I'm not foolin' around. He's hot (i.e. he eats great and is in shape). Anyway, upon talking to my physician (who happens to be my husband's physician as well) about Brian's blood pressure and things we could be doing differently at home or I could be incorporating into our diets that aid lowering blood pressure, red wine and dark chocolate came up. My doc said that the research backing red wine and it's benefits for the heart and blood pressure is no joke. It is legitimate. As is all the hoop-la surrounding dark chocolate (the REAL stuff, not Hershey's) and the beneficiary, antioxidant punch it has.

Enter my new found love for Pinot Noir. Pinot is the highest antioxidant red wine (or wine period for that matter) that there is. I even made a point to drink it pregnant, obviously in very, very small quantities as research came out stating that red wine during pregnancy (again very low amounts) might benefit the fetus in later IQ studies. I have absolutely no idea if this has been confirmed but I was on board for selfish reasons. Now it is a staple in my home and I have my husband enjoying a glass a night and popping a handful of dark chocolate for dessert after dinner. It's something we look forward to as we try to unwind at the end of the day and according to my doc, it has legitimate health benefits.

Now on the point of my article. Recently I was reading Food and Wine magazine, the October 2009 issue, and came across an article that I found to be most interesting and so worth passing on to my fellow cutie patootie foodies. I think you all, wine people or not, will find it has a place in your kitchen when entertaining especially. It is regarding wine and food pairing. I was so glad to have come across this particularly right before the holidays since I was put in charge of wine for Thanksgiving. "No problem!" I said.

Champagne- Perfect with anything salty. Most dry sparkling wines, such as brut Champagne and Spanish cava, actually have a faint touch of sweetness. That makes them extra-refreshing when served with salty foods.

Sauvignon Blanc- Goes with tart dressing and sauces. Tangy foods won't overwhelm zippy wines like Sauvignon Blanc.

Pinot Grigio- Pairs with light fish dishes. Light seafood dishes seem to take on more flavor when matched with equally delicate white wines such as PG.

Chardonnay- For fatty fish or fish in a rich sauce. Silky wines- for instance, Chardonnays from California, Chile or Australia- are delicious with fish like salmon or any kind of seafood in a lush sauce.

Riesling- Pair nice with sweet and spicy dishes. The slight sweetness of many Rieslings helps tame the heat of spicy Asian and Indian dishes.

Rose Champagne- Is great with dinner not just hors d'oeuvres. Rose sparkling wines, such as rose Champagne, cava and sparkling wine from California, have the depth of flavor and richness to go with a wide range of main courses.

Dry Rose- Great with cheesy dishes. Some cheese go better with white wine, some with red; yet almost all pair well with dry rose, which has the acidity of white wine and the fruit character of red.

Pinot Noir- Great for dishes with earthy flavors. Recipes made with ingredients like mushrooms and truffles taste great with reds like PN which are light-bodied but full of savory depth.

Malbec- Won't be overshadowed by sweet-spicy barbecue sauces. Malbecs and Shiraz are big and bold enough to drink with food brushed with heavily spiced barbecue sauces.

Zinfandel- For pates, mousses and terrines. If you can use the same adjectives to describe a wine and a dish, the pairing will often work. For instance, the words rustic and rich describe Zinfandel as well as chicken-live mousse.

Cabernet Sauvignon- Fabulous with juicy red meat. California Cabernet, Bordeaux and Bordeaux-style blends are terrific with steaks or chops: Their firm tannins refresh the palate after each bite of meat.

Syrah- Match highly spiced dishes. When a meat is heavily seasoned, look for a red wine with lots of spicy notes.

* The above is taken from Food and Wine magazine, October 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment