Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

This oatmeal is a regular occurence at my house. My kids (and my husband) love it and I feel great about the breakfast they just had!

You need:
oatmeal (Quaker works just fine but try and find "steel cut")
coconut oil (which you should have in the pantry anyway)
ground flax seed (which you should have in the pantry anyway)
whole grain blend (which you should have in the pantry anyway)
cinnamon
raw sugar (the brown stuff)
brown sugar
1 apple, peeled and chopped finely (my kids prefer either a fugi or a pink lady but it doesn't matter)
finely chopped walnut (or any nut or an assortment of nuts- but finely chopped or ground)

*black walnuts have the most potent nutritional punch
* some times I throw wheat germ in

Make the oatmeal using directions on package. But right before you add the oatmeal, after a mild simmer/boil, add about a tablespoon of coconut oil, two tablespoons of raw sugar, one tablespoon of brown sugar. Stir quickly then add oats. Stir again. Add chopped apple, one tablespoon of ground flax, one tablespoon of whole grain blend and the nuts. And the wheat germ if you're using it. Add a couple of dashes of cinnamon. Stir. Let simmer mildly for a couple of minutes but don't let it get too mushy. I spoon into bowls and pour just a little heavy cream, half and half or milk on top. Feel free to sprinkle the top with more cinnamon!

The above amounts are really "to taste." I don't even measure. I'm just trying to give you an idea of ABOUT how much I put in! I make it to two servings on the oatmeal package. It makes two good-size bowls.

You noticed I put "should have in your pantry anyway" next to some of the above ingredients! I'm pretty serious about certain things you need to have on hand to "sneak" into recipes. The above items are just a few of them. GET 'EM! Trust me!

This is a quick, hearty and super-healthy breakfast! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You can find whole grain blends at any health or whole foods store. Definitely a must-have staple for the pantry. And so "sneakable...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish family? Try coating your fish fillets in slightly-melted coconut oil and then coating them in crushed macadamia nuts, bread crumbs or any other coating your family enjoys. Coating your fish in coconut oil not only gives it a yummy gourmet flare, it also just increases it's nutritional value! And coconut oil is fabulous on your chapped lips and dry, constant-dishes-doing hands!

    ReplyDelete