Friday, October 30, 2009

10. Nut-free classroom or school? Here are some solutions...

Below is the "Safe Snack List" that my oldest daughter's school nurse sent home. It has helped me tremendously (as well as a certain mom that has been a wonderful resource) in planning treats for her nut-free classroom.

Snacks considered SAFE:

Nabisco- Teddy Grahams, Honey Maid Graham Crackers, Nilla Wafers, Oreo Cookies (usually the plain variety of Oreos are safe but NOT the snack bars)
Pringles Potato Chips
Some Fruit snacks
Goldfish (NOT the colored ones- blue dye #1)
Go Tarts
Most Fruit Cups
Kraft Handisnacks puddings
Hunt's brand puddings
Jello brand puddings
Certain popcorn brands (read labels thoroughly)
Sunshine Cheez-it Crackers (regular flavor)
Most fruits and vegetables
Frito Lay Doritos, Cheetos, Fritos, Ruffles, Rold Gold Pretzels
Krispy Kreme Donuts
Also any mix found in the baking aisle at the grocery store (Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, etc.)
Hostess snacks (cupcakes, Ding Dongs, etc.)


Snack considered UNSAFE:

Hanover pretzels (ALL)
Little Debbie snacks (ALL)
Jelly Belly jelly beans (ALL)
Candy Corn
Any of the main candy brands (M&Ms, Milky Way, Lemon Heads, Gummy Bears, Cracker Jacks)
Grandma's Cookies
Yogurt covered raisins
Chocolate covered raisins or pretzels
Zapp's Potato Chips
Any Kettle cooked chips
Chick-fil-A products
Any peanut butter cracker, cookie or snack
Most bakery items (whether it is a grocery store bakery or a boutique bakery)
Most all generic brands of foods (store brands too) as they are not required to follow strict labeling guidelines.


The important thing is to read all labels carefully. And when in doubt, don't buy it. As Room Mom last year for my child's class, I had no problem shooting moms an email and just point-blank asking a question about safe items or running ideas by them. They appreciate it. Which reminds me, you never want another child in the classroom to feel "different" or ostracized from his or hers peers. If they can't have the treat, you don't need to bring it. And as for the moms of these children, they feel bad enough because they feel like it is such a pain for all the other moms. As if they can help it. Be cognoscent of that and realize it they didn't ask for this and just as easily could've been you! I know several peanut allergy kids where the parents have absolutely idea where/how/why they have this allergy. It wasn't in the family anywhere. But when in doubt, Krispy Creme or throw together some cupcakes from a mix! Easy and cheap! Just watch the sprinkles! ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Recipes?

    cutiepatootiefoodie@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, don't forget about soy butter. I've had many moms approach me and ask me how I "mask" it for Payton. HONEY, HONEY and more HONEY! Did you know some allergists are saying that honey from your geographic region will actually cut-down on seasonal allergies? Throw some banana slices on as well. If you prefer to do "jelly," skip the jelly. This is a jelly-free blog. Do an organic fruit spread instead where the only sugar in it is natural! And NO HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some sprinkles are not "nut safe." Read the label. Especially the little chocolate sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate this posting. I am a mom to two awesome kids, one of which is severely allergic to peanuts, eggs and milk. It's very hard to be "that mom". I know it will get harder as she grows, because she is only 17 months right now, but man oh man, it's already very tough.
    I am searching for recipes that my whole family can eat that do not include the alergens, so if you have any thoughts, or suggestions, I would love to hear it! My email is childofthemeadows@yahoo.com.
    I will be keeping an eye on your blog - thanks for this!
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paige, I have the just the friend I'd like to set you up with to exchange info. Her child is a little older than yours so I think she'll be a great deal of help. Let me contact her and see if she'd allow me to give out her email address. Would you mind emailing me through my cutiepatootiefoodie@yahoo.com so that I may send it to you privately?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paige, it's a "GO" if you'd like a mom to share with. Her little one has the same allergies and more so she's got some great advice she said. Again, send me an email at the above email address and I'll set you two up!

    ReplyDelete