Thursday, October 29, 2009

6. Making baby food...JUST DO IT.

Before I posted any further articles, I thought it important to explain how I came about this little hobby of mine. Really, I owe it all to a dear friend/mentor of mine, Kimberly. Kimberly has a daughter named Madeleine. Kimberly had Madeleine before I ever had children. One day while out lunching, I noticed that Madeleine was noshing away at sauteed spinach, mushrooms and grilled chicken. All the other children were eating chicken fingers, french fries and drinking Sprite. I looked at Madeleine. Looked at the other children. Looked at Madeleine. WOW, I thought. That is crazy. After peppering Kimberly with tons of questions about how she got her kid to eat that way, the bottom line was clear. Make your own baby food. Start early with fresh, simple, unprocessed, unpasteurized baby food. You'll mold their taste buds and they will forever be grateful for it. So I went out and bought the "Bible" of baby food making, Mommy Made, and off I went the minute my first child was ready for solids. And the rest is history. I LOVE IT. Currently, my 6-month-old son is quite the little foodie himself. Just last night he had a carrot-sweet potato-blueberry blend. I couldn't even sit here and list all the nutrients in that little mixture if I wanted to...

Now I don't mind saying, I'm known in many a social circle for how my kids eat. They eat great. Better than any kid(s) I've ever come across. When people ask me, which is all the time, why it is they eat so good, the answer is swift and confident, "I made all their baby food." I have been accused of being some hippy, tree-hugging, broom-skirt wearing mom for this. You'd think I breastfed for two years or something. On the contrary I couldn't be more different than the aforementioned description. It all goes back to my original post. I'm so hard on myself about the way I parent. I'm hard on myself about everything I care about. So for me, to be able to so definitively control something so important is great. And to feel so good about it is worth all the effort (which is really minimal to be honest).

It's so easy. I can't stress that enough. A couple hours one Sunday afternoon and you can make enough for a month! Or you can make a little here and there. Whatever works for you, find it and stick to it! For me, it's cathartic to watch mango become this Heavenly looking fluff. Or for pear, in all it's sweetness, to literally look like liquid brown sugar once pureed. I even loved mashing up egg yolk with a fork to mix in my babies' cereals. Just typing it makes me relish in the pride I take in feeding my kids well.

Let us get started...

Consult the Baby Food Introduction information in a previous post to find out "where" your baby is age-wise for the appropriate foods.

Feel free to get more creative as you get more comfortable with this and your baby's diet broadens. You can start having a ton of fun mixing different fruits and vegetables! My son's very favorite is a pear-apple-banana puree. He can't get it fast enough and he can't grunt more to get it! Get creative. Have fun. And feel great about that growing baby of yours as vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants flood his or her little body! They're getting healthier by the second as their little cells are getting substantial nourishment.


What you need:

1. A food processor.

2. A small enough silicone spatula to scrape around the inside of the processor taking into account the center opening (try Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma).

3. * Storage containers or ice cube trays for storing your food.

4. Freezer space.

5. Knife and cutting board (depending on the fruit/vegetable you're working with).

6. A Pyrex measuring cup to pour water into the processor.

* See the comments section below for some tips on storage containers.

Have your fruits and vegetables already prepped. This means thawed, washed, cut, steamed, peeled or whatever else you need to do to get it "baby food ready."

What to do:

1. Put fruit or vegetable in processor.

2. Hit food process then puree.

3. Get to desired texture (This will depend on the age of your child. Young baby ='s puree. Older baby ='s chunkier texture. I didn't put an age because every baby is different.)

* You want to start introducing different textures all throughout this process. There are "texture sensitive" babies out there. You know who's fault that is? The parents.

4. Once happy with your puree, spoon into storage container(s) of choice.

5. Freeze.

You're done! Congrats! Now pour a glass of wine as you clean-up and treat yourself to a bubble bath. You just did a good thing for your baby. Now go do a good thing for you!

3 comments:

  1. As I drink my glass of wine as we speak right now...I just made blueberry puree...let me quickly post my favorite baby food storage containers. The best ones I have found are made by Juvenile Solutions. You can get them in one ounce or two ounce little containers. I like them because they stack neatly in your freezer. I like them because they have the little line on them to let you know when they're full (don't fill them any further). I do not like them because they do crack easily if you drop them. So don't drop them. Or order so many like I do that I could care less! Search Juvenile Solutions baby food cubes on Amazon or Google. Again, make sure and get the one AND two ounce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look for an up-coming article I'll post on "Advanced Baby Food Making." Wink. The above article is "Baby Food Making 101" if you will! There is so much more to the world of baby food making! Stay tuned...but stick with the basics above at first anyway. You've got a little while before your babe is ready for the BIG TIME! Keep it simple at first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember to decrease your infant's formula intake as you begin your solids program. You decrease the total ounces per day by 4 ounces for every "meal" you introduce. So for example, when I started my son on solids he was getting 30 ounces of formula a day (mind you he's the size of an 18-month-old). When he was getting his one meal a day in the beginning, I decreased it to 26 ounces of formula. Two meals a day would be 22 ounces and then of course three will be 18 ounces a day which is ideal. That is three, 6 ounce bottles a day that you're working towards. One mid-morning bottle (pre-nap). One afternoon bottle (pre-nap). Bedtime bottle. These bottles are no longer viewed as meals but snacks, rather. Why? Because after their first birthday you will switch these bottles out to cow's milk (if you so choose). This is kind of controversial and I'll post more on the milk controversy later. Regardless, milk IS A MEAL OR A SNACK. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT serve it with food. You're only blocking important nutrient absorption. That, my friends, is FACT.

    ReplyDelete